Sunday, October 18, 2009

Overlooked.

So, I had a heartbreaking and life changing experience this past weekend. I was driving through the middle of downtown Durham at about 9:30-10:00 pm and saw a man by the side of the road. This man was obviously a homeless man and he was digging through a trash can looking for food or anything else he could find. I wanted to stop but only had a 10 and a 100 dollar bill with me, I had also already passed by this man before I had time to stop and take action and it was a one way street so it would have been difficult to come back around. I really regret not turning back and giving him something though. Just seeing another human being, just like me or you, digging through the trash to find food breaks my heart into a million, billion, trillion, zillion pieces. It brought me to tears thinking about this man and all of the other millions of homeless people all around the world. I am actually tearing up right now just thinking about it again. I wish there was something I could seriously do to help these people. Everyone has their passion and thing that they work for and care strongly about and this is obviously mine, it just pulls at every little string of my heart to see people hurting and struggling like that. When I think about people suffering from homelessness, it makes my "problems" seem so insignificant and selfish. This whole experience made me realize EVEN MORE that I MUST do something to help give all of the homeless people in the world a voice. So many people look down upon them and think they are just lazy or stupid, when the truth is many of them are disabled or mentally ill and CAN'T work. There are also many that are hooked on drugs or alcohol and ruined themselves, but this is not something that can always be fixed just by will power. Many people with drug problems need serious help and treatment, addiction is an illness, not a crime. I really and seriously hope that I can find a way to help the homeless population.

Ignoring Homelessness won't make it go away.
-LK

No comments: