So, I'm sitting here watching the Super Bowl. I have never really been a fan of football, it's not that I hate it or anything I am just indifferent. As I am watching it I am trying to really understand the point of it. What I see, here as an outsider to the football world, is just a bunch of guys that are overly aggressive and angry running around and beating up on each other. I mean I know it is a game that has rules and regulations but to me that is just what shows through, the extreme aggression. I don't know of many other sports where you just beat up and slam into people like that other than maybe wrestling or hockey. I guess I just have trouble understanding the fun in that.
On another note, let's talk about the sport/art/lifestyle that I love dearly......you guessed it, skateboarding. My love and appreciation for skateboarding is unexplainable. Seriously, I think that skateboarding is one of the coolest, most amazing, and beautiful things in the world. Shall I explain? Well, first of all, skateboarding is a sport, yes it keeps you moving and active and there are competitions you can compete in. On the other hand, it is also quite the art form. Skateboarding allows you to turn a regular otherwise useless or under appreciated handrail or ledge into an amazing skate spot. Skateboarding allows ones creativity to really flourish and go wild. When you are on the skateboard, you are in control, you can create your own fate. You can do new and unheard of things or put a twist on an old classic trick, it's all up to you. Your body becomes art, as you move through the air and create shapes and forms in a different way every time.
Skateboarding is also much more than an art form or a sport, it is a lifestyle. It allows extreme freedom and expression to do what you feel. When you are a skateboarder, you have a completely different mindset than most. When walking down the street, you don't just see a set of stairs, you see the potential spot to get some sweet tricks on. You immediately start visualizing the lines and various combinations of tricks that could be thrown down. Skateboarding becomes a part of who you are and it will always be there. It's addictive, I know that when it rains, my skateboarding companions all suffer from a lack of being out on their boards.It really is like an extension of yourself, and when you can't use it, things just get all out of order. I personally can't skate that well, but I know that when I do get on my board, it gives me a great feeling. I am however with skateboarders almost every day of my life so I am very much a part of the skateboarding culture. Being a skate photographer as well as a skate company owner also keeps me in that loop.
Skateboarding also has this magical power that seems to just bring people together. Go to any skatepark and you will see the evidence of this. Old, young, black, white, hispanic, asian, etc everyone seems to get along when there is a skateboard involved. Maybe it is the common bond and the shared love. Maybe it is the fact that skateboarders must get over their differences and unite together because of the outside parties that hate on the whole skateboarding population. I am not sure what it is, maybe a combination of all these things, but I find it to be amazing.
I can't imagine being away from the skateboarding world ever in my life. When I am an old lady I plan to still be reading my Transworld and Skateboard Mag's and watching the guys tear it up. Haha......what a sight that will be.
Anyway. If you can't tell that I am a fan of skateboarding by now, and that is something extremely near and dear to my heart, something is wrong here... hahaha.
No comments:
Post a Comment